Last Updated on June 20, 2022 by Ecorf
Looking for a more environment-friendly way to beat up summer heat? Then, swamp coolers or commonly known as evaporative coolers will help you with it. Swamp coolers, unlike air conditioners, use evaporative water to cool the temperature down; thus, these coolers emit lesser carbon dioxide, which in excess can be detrimental to the ozone layer. Let’s get to know more about these eco-friendly buddies that keep us cool during hot, sunny days.
What is Swamp Coolers?
Swamp coolers are technically air conditioners because they also cool the air down. However, it works differently than air conditioners, mainly because it uses the power of evaporation to cool down the temperature. These coolers work best in dry and low humid areas.
How Does it Work?
Swamp coolers consist of a thick pad, a water reservoir, a fan, and controls for tuning the results. The fan pulls hot and dry air into the machine and through the thick cooler pads. These cooler pads pull in water from the reservoir to increase the surface area. As the hot air passes through the pad, the molecules of water on the surface evaporate that causes the temperature of the air to drop. The fan, then, blows the cold air outside, where you can relish it during hot, summer days.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Swamp Coolers
Swamp coolers, for the most part, are a much alternative than the typical air conditioner. However, just like these coolers have their advantages that let you enjoy them, they also have their own share of setbacks as well. It is vital to know these things as you choose the best battery-operated swamp cooler that fits your needs.
- Swamp coolers are very easy to install.
- They are energy-efficient compared to the air conditioning units.
- They add moisture in the air perfect for hot dry air; unlike air conditioners that make your skin feel dry.
- Air is distributed evenly and equally.
- They are environment-friendly, as they only emit lesser CO2 which proves to be detrimental in the ozone layer.
- They are more cost-efficient than air conditioning units.
- Swamp coolers don’t require costly maintenance.
- These are ideal for hot and dry environments with low humidity.
- These coolers are not ideal in humid areas.
- They cause mineral and salt build-up that may deteriorate the life expectancy of your units.
- It needs thorough and constant cleaning to avoid salt and mineral build-up.
- You have to make sure that there is water in the reservoir, for it to keep working.
- Maintenance can be complicated and difficult if you put the unit in high areas.
Choosing the Best Battery-Operated Swamp Cooler
After you have weighed out the pros from the cons, you now have reached to reach the final point of whether you really want to buy a swamp cooler. If you do, then you must know the factors that must be considered in choosing the perfect battery-operated swamp cooler that suits your needs. These are:
First of all, you have to consider the climate you have, as swamp coolers only work best on dry and hot areas with average to low humid. They will not work in places with high humidity.
If you are planning to use these coolers during hot, summer days, then expect it running for quite some time— especially during the day. This will cause a surge-up in your electric bill if you don’t choose the energy-saving model. However, swamp coolers only use energy as much as your bathroom fan.
The right energy-saving unit can help you save up on the energy bill of up to 25%; so, make sure you go for swamp cooler models with energy-saving seal.
Installation and Air Flow
Some standard-sized swamp coolers are installed either on the roof or the wall since it sends air on a downward route. However, some would prefer the portable version that allows them to carry the unit wherever they are.
Whether you install the unit or you didn’t, it is best to make sure that your swamp cooler doesn’t have leakage problems. If you are not so sure about the installation of your unit, you might want to consider tapping an expert to do the deed for you. These guys will know the perfect spot to install your unit to give maximum airflow.
You must also consider the maintenance of your swamp coolers, especially if you are a busy person. Choose models that are durable and sturdy and only require minimal maintenance. However, you must remember that swamp coolers need to clean regularly as they often cause a salt or mineral build-up due to their mechanism of action.
The price of swamp coolers varies depending on the features they come with. They are fairly cheap as compared to air conditioning units.
Check Out a Few of These Battery-Operated Swamp Coolers
One of the best battery-operated swamp coolers in the market is the Battery Operated Kool-Down Mini Evaporative Air Cooler. It has a 28 oz. water reservoir tank that can cool up a 49 sq. ft. room for up to 10 hours. It also has adjustable air vents that turn to target the cool air anywhere you want it. For an even more ultra-cooling action, you can use ice-cold water to beat out the dry summer heat. What’s even more interesting is that it can be operated with 4 C batteries that allow you to use it even outside the comforts of your home.
- It doesn’t need any outlet or power source.
- It can cool the room for 10 hours.
- The swamp cooler can cool a 49 square feet room.
- The unit is very light and handy.
- They don’t have free batteries.
- It easily spills the water.
Want to stay cool even if you are outside the comforts of your home? Then, worry no more, for Spantron Portable Air Conditioner Fan will make you cool wherever you are. Aside from its swamp cooling features, this 5-in-1 evaporative cooler can also be used as an LED light, humidifier, mist diffuser, and UV purifier. The 2-speed, quiet motor allows you to have a cool and undisturbed sleep throughout the night. Furthermore, the sterilizer UV light packed inside the cover keeps the filter at the same time air hygienic and cleaner. To elevate your mood, the LED lights has 6 different settings that you could choose from. This 5-in-1 Spantron Portable Air Conditioner Fan is a flexible swamp cooler fit for your different needs.
- The unit can also work by plugging it into a USB port.
- It is light, small, and gives a cool stream of air.
- It is very easy to operate.
- It can be used to diffuse essential oils especially when someone is sick.
- The unit doesn’t produce a loud noise.
- It does tend to spill water a little.
- The USB port is not easy to locate.
The Ontel Arctic Personal Air Cooler lets you create your personal cool comfort zone. It doesn’t only give off cool air, but it also humidifies and purifies the air for a fresher and cleaner air to breathe in. Furthermore, it also has 7 different LED mood light fit for your every mood. This Ontel Arctic Personal Air Cooler has an easy-fill water tank that can cool down the temperature of a 45 square feet room for eight hours. That’s not all. You can be certain of a cool, goodnight’s sleep for this multi-tasking swamp cooler can operate quietly while you sleep.
- It is very handy and can be used anywhere.
- It cools down temperature almost instantly.
- It cools down air for quite some time.
- The price of the product is within means.
- The cool LED lights can bring you into a new dimension.
- The filter easily gets molds.
- It tends to give off a loud noise when used in the highest setting.
This multifunctional swamp cooler combines cooling, air purifier, humidifier, and light in one tiny box. This air cooler uses a negative ion purification technology that filters the air into a fresher and cleaner air to breathe in. Only 7.2 inches long, this portable swamp cooler can easily blend in any area without taking too much space. It has 3-wind speeds and the direction of the cool air can easily be adjusted wherever you like. Plus, it has 7 different LED mood lights that can give you a whole new experience before you sleep. Lastly, it is certified CE, ROHS, and FCC ensuring that the product is durable and safe to use.
- The portable swamp cooler gives off a slow, steady breeze.
- It only takes up little space and easily blends in everywhere.
- The handle makes it more convenient to carry the cooler.
- It prevents skin from getting flaky dry.
- The cooler is not very powerful.
If you are looking for a swamp cooler that cools off your personal space during a summer day, then the Portable Air Conditioner Cooler Fan, Personal Space Air Cooler is the one. This swamp cooler uses the cutting-edge evaporative misting cooling technology that lets you enjoy the cool breeze without feeling all too dry. It also has a built-in rechargeable battery that allows you to use the air cooler wherever you are and a USB port to plug your unit easy to charge. Plus, it is equipped with an extra water injection bottle for more accurate water refilling to prevent leakage. These 3-in-1 powerful swamp cooler can also be used as an air humidifier and purifier which solves all your cooling air needs and more.
- The product comes with a 1-year money-back guarantee and a lifetime limited warranty.
- It has the option to put either cold water or ice.
- It is very handy and lightweight.
- It can be used almost everywhere.
- The swamp cooler has cute designs that easily blend in the room.
- It gives off a loud sound.
- It can give off cool air to a short distance.
Based on portability, maintenance, installation, and airflow, and price, the Spantron Portable Air Conditioner Fan is the best battery-powered swamp cooler out of the five. Aside from these factors, this 5-in1 swamp cooler can also be used LED light, humidifier, mist diffuser, and UV purifier. Plus, it works quietly assuring you of good quality sleep throughout the night.
All in all, swamp coolers are a nature-friendly, cost-effective, and energy-efficient alternative to the traditional air conditioners. Choosing the best battery-powered swamp cooler is hard; but, this guide will help you choose wisely and more appropriately. Have a cooler day ahead.